What is an Accredited Specialist?
An Accredited Specialist is a person who is recognised by the Queensland Law Society as being an expert in their field of law.
What criteria must you meet or how much experience do you need to be an Accredited Specialist
An Accredited Specialist must meet the following criteria as set down by the Queensland Law Society:-
- Pass a comprehensive and rigorous examination process developed by legal professional experts to demonstrate they have the required knowledge and skills to be an Accredited Specialist in their chosen area.
- Each year, to be re-accredited they must maintain a high degree of professional development in their area of specialisation. Accredited Specialists have to do more study than other lawyers and in particular the majority of their professional development each year must be in their chosen area of speciality.
- To be an Accredited Specialist they must have a minimum of five years full-time practice experience and a minimum of three years experience in their area of specialisation.
Our Accredited Specialists and their experience
- Brad Shanahan has been an Accredited Specialist in Personal Injury Law since 1998 and has been practicing in this area since he was admitted in 1991. Brad is the most senior and experienced Accredited Specialist in Personal Injuries Law in Mackay.
- James Bailey has been an Accredited Specialist in Family Law since 2011 and he has been practicing in this area since 2003. James sits on the Queensland Law Society committee that develops and conducts the examination for people who want to become Accredited Specialists.
- Greg Smart has been an Accredited Specialist in Commercial Litigation since 2014 and he has been practicing in this area since 2005. Greg is 1 of only 39 Accredited Specialists in all of Queensland and the only Commercial Litigation Accredited Specialist solicitor north of the Sunshine Coast. Greg also sits on the Queensland Law Society committee that develops and conducts the examination for people who want to become Accredited Specialists. When Greg Smart sat the examination to become an Accredited Specialist he was the highest achiever for the State.
With decades of legal experience behind them, any one of our accredited specialists is more than able to assist you with any legal issue you may have. Don’t hesitate to contact us if you require assistance on 07 4963 2000 or via our online contact form. We will gladly assist you.