What is an Infringement Notice (or fine)?

Infringement Notices are tickets issued for particular offences.  An Infringement Notice is commonly referred to as a fine.  Common offences for which a fine is issued include:-

  • speeding;
  • running a red light;
  • toll evasion; and
  • parking fines.

The fine will be issued to you and will be handed to you at the time.  It may also be sent to you by email or post.

The fine will contain information about the alleged offence, including:-

  • the type of offence; and
  • the monetary penalty for committing the offence.

If you agree with the Notice, and admit that you committed the offence, you simply pay the monetary fine.   The details for payment will ordinarily be contained in the Notice.

Can I dispute a traffic ticket?

Yes, you can dispute the ticket if you do not believe you have committed the offence alleged in the Infringement Notice.  You must:-

  • dispute the ticket before you pay the fine.
  • notify the organisation that you intend to contest within 28 days from the date of issue of the ticket.

If you do not contest the Notice within 28 days of the date of issue, you will be unable to contest the fine.  The fine will be referred to the State Penalties Enforcement Registry (SPER) for payment.

To contest the fine, complete the relevant section contained within the Notice, or alternatively contact the organisation that issued the fine.

Do I have to go to Court?

You will need to go to Court if you are contesting a ticket that was issued by a police officer or transport inspector.  You will also need to go to Court if you are contesting an offence detected by a speed camera.

If you go to Court and are successful in contesting the charge, the charge will be withdrawn and you will not be penalised for the offence.

If you are not successful, you will be required to pay the fine.  You will also be required to pay the Offender Levy.  You can find out more information about the Offender Levy by clicking here.

You can contact our office on 07 4963 2000 or via our online contact form if you would like to speak to our solicitors about disputing an Infringement Notice.

Cassandra Adorni-Braccesi Solicitor, Wallace & Wallace Lawyers Mackay

Cassandra Adorni-Braccesi
Criminal Law

Related Articles

Offender Levy

The Offender Levy is a fee payable on sentence and is used to help pay for the costs associated with Court. Every adult sentenced in Queensland must pay the Offender Levy.

I’ve Been Caught Hooning –
can my car be seized?

There are two categories of hooning offences and the police have different powers depending on which category of offence you have committed.

High Speed Driving
Offences in Queensland

High speed driving offences carry substantially more serious penalties. You may be charged with a high speed offence if you exceed the speed limit by more than 40kms an hour.