Women signing an undertaking

What is an Undertaking
in Family Law?

When parties separate sometimes a person is requested to give an undertaking that they will or will not do something.  Sometimes undertakings are requested before court proceedings are commenced and sometimes they are requested or provided to the Federal Circuit Co…
Read More
a lady and a man looking after an asian baby

Child Support for
Non-Parent Carers

I provide care for a child but I am not the parent – can I get child support? The short answer:  It depends who you are and what your relationship is to the child you are caring for. In order to be considered a non-parent carer a person must be:- a legal guardian of the chi…
Read More
child looking sad with parents fighting in the background

Can the Court change my
Child Support Assessment?

Yes, the Court can change your child support assessment, but only in certain circumstances. In most cases any amendments to your child support assessment will be considered by the Child Support Agency internally.  However, the Court may make orders in certain circum…
Read More
Child and parenting sitting on a jetty

Parenting Orders Breached?

Where one parent is not following or has breached the parenting orders made by the Court, the other parent can file a contravention application. What constitutes a breach of parenting orders? Under the Family Law Act 1975, unless an order has been varied by consent, a pe…
Read More
Grandparents and Grandchildren

Grandparents & Parenting Matters

Following separation grandparents are often left to question where they stand regarding the care arrangements for their grandchildren.  These issues can be resolved in a number of ways: Informal arrangements directly with the parents (in particular the parent who…
Read More
Man holding little girls hand

Recovery Orders

A child being taken from a parent, or not being returned to a parent’s care can be very stressful. Parents in this situation need to seek assistance as soon as possible, and if they are unsuccessful in requesting the child be returned from the other person, will need to app…
Read More