- Brisbane (by appointment)
- Bachelor of Laws
- Master of Laws
- Justice of the Peace
Memberships and Associations:
- Member of the Queensland Law Society
- Member of the Mackay District Law Association
- Member of the North Queensland Law Association
- Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Queensland – admitted 1988
- Solicitor of the High Court of Australia – admitted 1988
Born and raised in Brisbane, I began my legal career at a mid-sized Queen Street law firm, worked ridiculous hours and became a partner at age 29. Marriage and fatherhood caused me to seek a better work-life balance, so my wife and I and our baby daughter relocated to Mackay in 1994. I have been a part of Wallace & Wallace Lawyers ever since.
I have over 33 years’ experience as a solicitor in commercial and property law and took on the role of managing partner in 2007.
Having acted for BHP since 2000 (and other mining companies subsequently), I have a particular focus on mining law, although I also have expertise in:-
- high level negotiations and strategic planning
- corporate and business structuring and restructuring (companies, trusts, partnerships, etc.)
- commercial, industrial and agricultural acquisitions and dispositions
- property syndication
- business succession and complex estate planning
- commercial and retail leasing
Outside of work, with our children now adults, my wife and I enjoy walking, bike-riding, music, movies, trivia and are both voracious readers. I have enjoyed making sourdough bread for the last couple of years, and, the extensive travel my wife and I have done has heightened our interest in trying our hand at cooking cuisines from many different cultures.
- GST Withholding Regime Buying or selling residential property - the Australian Taxation Office has changed the way it collects GST (GST Withholding) from property transactions. read more
- Early Access to
Superannuation Depending on your age and circumstances, there are a number of limited circumstances in which you can gain early access to your superannuation savings, including... read more
“This email is for the purpose of giving feedback on the external legal support for the REDACTED* Project related work over the past several years, covering various compensation agreements, purchase, subdivisions, amalgamations, sale and road closures. The quality of the documentation, timeliness, responsiveness, availability, problem solving and general service from Brett Johnson has been outstanding. 10 out of 10. This follows on from a similar high quality performance on a similar matter over several years.
I have greatly appreciated Brett Johnson’s support in negotiations and his laser-like focus on defending BHP’s interests in the face of aggressive tactics from the other side’s legal advisors (two large Brisbane law firms). The match up of the two legal teams was a “no real contest” situation and having the superior legal support provides great comfort to the non-legal members of the team.“
Brett G. (BHP)
*Project name removed for confidentiality reasons.